Recipe by Holly Nelson, created in 2009
This is a Nelson Family favorite. We eat this about 3 – 4 times a week. Heartwarming, full of slow-burning carbs, protein, and fiber, this hot cereal is health in a bowl.
We buy our organic grains at the health food market, mixing enough, and storing in an air tight container, to last us a long time. How long this amount will last you, depends on the size of your family, and how often you eat it.
*Quinoa contains more protein than any other grain; an average of 16.2 percent, with some varieties more than 20 percent protein. Quinoa’s protein is of an unusually high quality. It is a complete protein, with an essential amino acid balance close to the ideal … similar to milk! Quinoa’s protein is high in lysine, methionine and cystine. This makes it an excellent food to combine with, and boost the protein value of, other grains.
Bulk Grains Mix
- 2 pounds organic rolled oats
- 2 pounds organic rolled barley
- 2 pounds organic whole quinoa*
- 1 pound whole, organic flax seeds
Ratings Chart: †††=advanced skill & yummy ††=regular skill & yummy †=easy & yummy
Rating † Servings 4 Prep 1 min Simmer 8 mins
- 1 ½ cups grain mix
- 3 cups water
- pinch of sea salt
- Drizzle of organic Agave Nectar
- Put grains in a strainer and wash thoroughly.
- Put in pan with water and sea salt.
- Bring to a boil, turn down to 1 or 2, and stir grains until they incorporate into the water a bit.
- Slow simmer the grains for 8 mins, stirring occasionally for a creamy texture.
- Serve hot in bowls with coconut, soy, or almond milk.
- Top with a drizzle of the Agave Nectar